Who picks the American President? The People or the Press?

rs_1024x759-150709052426-1024.Donald-Trump-Hillary-Clinton-JR-70915_copy

As we inch closer and closer to the beginning of the United States presidential primaries, it seems increasingly apparent that the American public faces an enormous challenge.  The challenge I speak of is making the choice you want, even if that choice isn’t what the media deems “electable”.

Although the fact that the system is a democratic one where every eligible voter can choose whomever they want, voters are increasingly shunning their choice if the polls say their candidate won’t win. Here is the problem with that and why this severely damages the credibility of the entire process.   First of all this is a problem on both sides of the aisle. There are staunch supporters of Bernie Sanders who will vote for him regardless, but there are many people who may like his views but won’t vote for him because they feel their vote is wasted on someone who is considered to have no chance of beating any Republican candidate in the general election.  On the Republican side, many Americans may like a candidate such as Ted Cruz, but because of his very conservative stance and what is deemed as combative relationships with other elected officials, many of those supporters will back off in favor of the candidate who is growing in popularity and leading the pack.

I understand the philosophy of everyone loving a winner, but the facts are very simple.  Ask around and you’ll find many people who like candidates other than Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton but will vote for one or the other only because they are front runners who can get elected.  The process of displaying so many candidates and having multiple debates, although entertaining, is showing itself to be somewhat  of a waste of time. People may come away from a debate liking John Kasich, but will they vote for him? Probably not.  After all the general consensus based on polls is that he has no chance.  As a result only 60% of Americans eligible to vote actually do vote. I’m guessing that not all of the other 40% neglect to do so out of apathy.  I am sure many just don’t bother doing something they feel won’t have any impact on the outcome anyway.  I’ve heard a number of people say that they didn’t like anyone only to find out that they did like someone, but the candidate they liked had “no chance” so why bother?

I understand and appreciate the importance of not wasting one’s vote, but isn’t voting for someone you don’t really like, or even more so, don’t trust even worse?  Isn’t it time people made choices on what they are hearing from the candidates instead of the media and pollsters?  If not, don’t bother watching a debate or even reading comments by the candidates.  Just wait for the next poll to come out and get ready to follow the hoard.

LIKE THIS POST? SHARE IT ON FACEBOOK OR TWITTER

HOW TO BUY THE BOOK

READ MORE OF WHAT I HAVE TO SAY ON OPEDGUY.COM

CLICK TO JOIN “THE GLOBAL COALITION FOR ISRAEL” ON FACEBOOK

GLOBAL COALITION FOR ISRAEL IS NOW ON TWITTER @gcimovement

IN CONJUNCTION WITH GLOBAL COALITION FOR ISRAEL

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: